A memory popped up on my computer the other day. It was a picture of my notes from United Way of Central Iowa’s Mapping Our Impact conference. The keynote speaker, Dr. Richard Deming, shared six key phrases that always seem to find me at the right time.
⭐️ None of us is as good as all of us
⭐️ Adversity leads to personal growth
⭐️ Courage is grace under pressure
⭐️ Suffering leads to compassion
⭐️ Make time for reflection
⭐️ Live today with passion
Never have those words been truer given everything that has been thrown at us this year.
As I reflect on the last year and beyond, what is abundantly clear is that Eat Greater Des Moines would not be here without you. Your support has allowed us to grow and continue to bring partners together to unite the community in providing access to quality food for everyone. In the last few years we’ve:
- —Grown from a team of 1 to a team of 3,
- —Participated in the 1st ever National Food Recovery Accelerator Program,
- —Rescued 681,785 pounds of food and delivered it to organizations in need through our growing Food Rescue Transportation Program,
- —Gleaned over 9,000 pounds of local food from orchards, farms & gardens,
- —Distributed 721,545 pounds of fresh produce, dairy and protein through Operation Fresh Produce Drop, serving over 90 organizations and new partners, like daycares, churches, and refugee/immigrant groups that are expanding food access while maintaining safety and dignity.
None of us is as good as all of us. None of this work can be done alone. Our success today is due to all of the different skills, connections, and passionate individuals throughout our network, like you. Whether you were, distributing boxes of fresh produce, gleaning local fruits and veggies, supplying equipment or space to make make Operation Fresh Produce Drop possible, making masks to keep all of us safe, or providing a monthly financial donation.
Thank you for believing in us.
When you make a monthly gift to Eat Greater Des Moines, you are putting faith in our work to make this food system better for everyone. Thank you for allowing us to live our mission of uniting the community to provide access to food for all.
Sending healthy energy & good vibes your way,
Aubrey Alvarez, MPA
Executive Director | Eat Greater Des Moines
She, her, hers